My contract was extended until April 2016 so I must have been doing doing something right.
The nagging thought at the back of my mind – was I settling into a rut?
I had not done any training for ages – so it was time to fix that and do some Microsoft Accreditations in SQL 2012.
All I needed to do was set up 4 virtual servers under Hyper-V and while I was at it I decided to upgrade 2 physical servers to Windows Server 2012 and 5 clients to Windows 10.
Then I needed to set up SQL Server 2012 and yes, of course, all the security patches needed updating network wide and as luck would have it I needed some new AV software for the servers and then my backup software needed upgrading and coincidentally the Windows Firewall was blocking ports and just to cap it all my printer wasn’t supported in Windows 10.
No problem, really – but this did take up about 2 weeks in the evenings.
Then on Wednesday Virgin broadband died for a day and Crin (@crinber – my lovely wife) was not best pleased that she had no Internet and could not play on her new phone.
So I got to work.
Virgin engineers fixed their problem on Thursday and I refreshed the hub and my router.
However, on rebooting, my secondary DNS, DHCP and Domain Controller server had the wrong IP address (which caused me to scratch my head as it was a static IP reserved in DHCP) so I had still lost the network and Internet access.
No worries – I would fix it that night and bring the network back online for the weekend so I have remote access through LogMeIn.
On Friday and after much buggeration it turned out that the Virtual Switch had swapped NIC’s on the server running Hyper-V thus disabling both cards (a bug I think, Microsoft).
Switching them back solved the entire issue and now I have a shiny new network.
Now I could start training in my “spare” time!